Job description and general duties
Category: Landing Gear
Job Type: Permanent Full Time
Heroux-Devtek, the world’s 3rd largest producer of landing gear, serves the civil and military aerospace markets from production facilities in North America and Europe. The Company’s longevity, flexibility, and track record for the development and implementation of innovative production systems have distinguished it as a leader in the domain. With its most recent acquisitions, Heroux-Devtek is bolstering its status as one of the foremost landing gear, actuation and hydraulic system designers and manufacturers in the global aerospace industry.
The Landing Gear Market specializes in the design, qualification, manufacture and repair and overhaul of landing gears and flight critical components to a customer base that extends from the OEMs (Original Equipment Manufacturers) to the Operators in both the commercial and military markets.
Summary of position
The incumbent will be responsible for all manufacturing activities for a 24/7 machining organisation. Working with other team members, the (machining site) production Manager plans for and implements production strategies designed to deliver on time with improve efficiency, increase revenues, and to minimise disruptive events. The incumbent will identify required resources, coordinate with other departments to ensure the resource availability, develop contingency plans and ensure the maintenance of the capacity for delivery. This position has a key responsibility for managing employee relations for all employees in the Nottingham facility. This position is responsible for a medium-sized organisation and all equipment required to produce landing gear components and assemblies.
Main Challenge (Mandate)
1. Improve quality
2. Ramp up new machines capacity/efficiency + deliver increased combo hours (single operative multi machine)
3. Improve Efficiency and increase Output - Reduce wrap rate to under £70. Per hour.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS/OTHER FUNCTIONS:
Essential functions include, but are not limited to:
1. Participate as an advisory member of the Company Safety Committee and have site responsible for HS&E.
2. Participate with colleagues in determining bold actions that drive improvements in manufacturing, improving operation performance (Quality, OTD, Costs/hours) and focuses on the need to manage to full machining capacity within budget.
3. Provide leadership through a 6-12 month planning cycle for machining related operations.
4. Build and manage a leadership team capable of carrying out operation strategies and improving employee relations to meet current requirements, responds to new opportunities, and satisfies exacting customer expectations.
5. Produce commercial bids for non-recurring and recurring new opportunities for both internal and external work. Ensure bid targets are met post learning curve.
6. Establish operational best practices in the areas of Quality, Lean Manufacturing, material usage, shipping and receiving, capacity planning, production scheduling, safety/TPM, customer satisfaction, employee relations and performance measures.
7. Establish standards for cost control, waste reduction, quality, safety, right first time and on-time delivery.
Computer hardware: Windows, Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Project, Microsoft Power Point, Infor LN, General office equipment. Must be familiar with CNC Operations and CATIA
Direct reports: Production Leads
1 Training / HS&E
Responsible for ensuring a safe working environment and that all employees receive initial training, opportunities to improve skills, and career-enhancement training to support a career path
1 Decision Making
Committed to take actions to monitor KPIs and meet objectives in terms of quality, OTD and cost through operations best practices
Has an identified budget and authorised spending limits for discretionary spending.
Ongoing communications affecting achievement of organisational goals.
1 Results of Action
Direct impact on profit/loss.
Job qualifications and basic requirementsQUALIFICATIONS:
Degree: BA in Business Administration or Engineering or equivalent experience required. Experience of Operations Management in an Aerospace environment preferred.
1. CNC Machinery (Mill-turn) and CATIA programming
2. Manufacturing systems development and deployment
3. Lean Manufacturing, Kaizen, Process Improvement, Materials Management and Production scheduling
2. Problem analysis and problem resolution at strategic and functional levels (root cause corrective actions)/ Quality improvement)
3. Computer proficiency
1. Preferred: change management and organisational development ( Train and develop employees)
2. Evaluate accomplishment relative to objectives
3. Plan in the mid-term range
4. Get results through others
5. Organise and manage multiple priorities
Sound knowledge of Manufacturing Engineering / CNC machining.
A self-motivated, high achiever with strong leadership ability.
Excellent communications skills.
Skills and qualifications
- Education : Other
- Experience : Other
- Profile : Other